Monday, March 8, 2010

Sauraha



Where there is a wrong time to visit Devis Falls, there is a also a right time to visit the Terai and the Chitwan National Park. Luckily these times are the same. That's what the book says anyway. Average daytime temperatures of 25°C with the probability of chilly misty mornings. Unfortunately this particular day was wet. I breakfasted with my Canadian companions and spent some time in the Tiger Wildlife Camp writing letters and I went to the Museum.

The picture above is really good. It may not be properly focused but click on it to see it enlarged. I love the convoy of ox carts.



It seems I had a big enough lunch to write "Big Lunch" in the notes. After a big lunch what else but a snooze?

After that there was a bit of a tour including being taken into a village to be shown what we were told were "poor people" and this what they look like. I really don't know what the point of this was. It has stayed with me though. Poverty is a relative thing. The guide who took us there was sufficiently better off to consider these people poor. Here, before too long, the definition of poverty will be not having an iPhone.

The afternoon was scheduled for birdwatching but it was called off because of the rain.