Thursday, March 25, 2010

Saturday Morning in Kathmandu

The long bus journey the day before had taken it out of me and I'd been to bed early. As a result I was up early.

I sorted out laundry that needed doing and my notes say I "sorted out slides". I really can't remember but I think that I must have developed some of the slides. I couldn't wait to see them. I suppose I might have been labeling them.

It was all very domestic. I listened to the BBC World Service and Voice of America (which for the most part I found lacking in important news) and I had a shave.

About 10.00ish I ventured out and strolled down to Thamel.



It was still pretty chilly. The out of focus picture of the traffic policeman above shows how misty it was. The policeman is making quite a performance of controlling and directing what little traffic there was. It must have kept him warm.



I had some breakfast in the Nepalese Kitchen and had my shoes shone. I didn't actually have shoes. I had trainers and I probably had them whitened. The notes say I sold my camera bag. They had better ones for sale and I bought one for the K1000. It was all much more compact.



After attending to these errands I strolled to Durbar Square. As the following pages of this blog reveal it is probably just as well that I needed to ration film. Every time you turn your head you are presented with something worthy of photographing. I like the two shops shown above. The vegetables look really wholesome and the bakery (which I suppose it is) is interesting, especially with those great big logs of wood poking into the stoves. I also like the pose of the chef waiting in front of the shop.



This picture of Durbar Square may not be the best picture ever taken but it does somehow capture the totally unrushed and hassle free atmosphere in Kathmandu. The more I look at it the more peaceful it seems.

Of course it would be easy to get carried away. The existence seems idyllic. So let's not forget that for some, especially the chickens being sold below, life is short and brutal.