Thursday, February 18, 2010

To Pokhara

Some action at last. The notes say I was up at 6.30am and shortly afterwards was on a bumpy bus ride sitting at the back of the bus on an unfixed seat. You feel every bump and your seat leaves the frame at the same time. It was a pain in the arse, literally.

The bus suffered a puncture somewhere between Kathmnandu and the half way point of Mugling where there was a meal break.

The trip is only just over 200km but it takes all day. My notes say "Very scenic but imposs to appreciate. Indian group talking - no vision".

According to the Lonely Planet Guide a few kilometers North of Mugling is Ghorka and it certainly seems worth a visit. Regrettably I didn't visit, my bus was going to Pokhara and arrived there around 5.00pm as the sun set. There is nothing to report except that I booked into the Butterfly Lodge and got a very nice little room which had a writing table in front of the window with a view of the lake.

Having installed myself I went out and had something to eat in a place called Beam Beams. I think I remember that the music that was playing was Pink Floyd. On the one hand I quite liked it but on the other it just seems all wrong and irrelevant to the location. I went to bed and slept well.