Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lake View



The weather really wasn't that great. You needed to wrap up. On Saturday 29 December 1990 I spent the last few rupees to my name on breakfast on the shore of the Lake and did some more letter writing. I was trying to keep a fair number of people informed as to my travels and may have been writing that heartfelt letter to Liz. I can't remember now. I was getting bogged down by the correspondence. Story of my life.

This was yet another "nothing day". I changed some money somewhere later and retired early to listen to the radio, write and smoke. Once more I was visited by Bruno.

We had a chat about I don't know what. I was a bit stoned and he didn't seem to want to leave. In the end I had to resort to theatrical yawning and I went to usher him out. As I was doing so something quite disturbing happened.

My notes say: "Bruno lunges". I had got up to usher Bruno out of the room and as I was doing so Bruno moved towards me in a way that could not have been mistaken for anything other than he was going to snog me! I recoiled and it was all very embarrassing.

After Bruno had left I began to put 2 and 2 together. Come to think of it Bruno's hair was a tad bouffant and he wore earrings in both ears. After a while on the road you become inured to things. People who would stick out like a sore thumb begin to blend in. There are a lot of strange looking people out there. There were other signs too but I hadn't realised. The letter he had needed help with the night before was from a Japanese boy and thinking about it now it was a bit gushing.

Although I was on a journey to broaden my horizons and gain new and exciting experiences, I was quite certain that getting snogged by a bloke wasn't something I wanted to try.