Monday, January 25, 2010

Leaving India



There was a huge difference between the temperatures I had been used to down in Goa and Kerala and the temperature in Delhi over 2000km north. Delhi had a distinctly late autumn or early winter feel about it. It was quite chilly.

At 5.55 the next morning, Friday 21 December 1990, the winter solstice, the shortest day, it was very cold and it was probably a mistake to decide to go to the Airport by autorickshaw. It must have been quite a long way (even allowing for the fact that I was overcharged, obviously) because the fare was Rs80. I am sure I would have made a note if I hadn't thought the journey was long enough to merit the price.





My flight was at 9.30 am. Right up to the very last the Indians were extracting my rupees. The exit tax was Rs300 which on the scale of things is a tidy sum of money. Still, you can't take it with you. Seriously, you couldn't take it with you. There wasn't any point even if you did. You couldn't spend them anywhere apart from India.