Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Aftermath

Pushkar had peaked too early for me. After the first hour in the place nothing very much that might happen to me would seem particularly remarkable.

I think I just crashed into my room and took a little while to piece together the events since I had woken up in a marooned railway carriage at 6.30 that morning.

My notes say that I wrote. Out there somewhere is a letter written just hours after what I have just described. I wonder who's got it?

I ate in only one restaurant while I was in Pushkar. The R S Resturant. I think I had a late-ish breakfast/early lunch on the rooftop when I emerged from my room. The young ex Brahmin was quickly in attendance as I emerged and was anxious to know whether I would be interested in a "tola" of the finest quality Parvati chars (from Himanchal Pradesh and officially not drugs). I disclosed I was actually fairly well provided for in that department. I shouldn't have made this disclosure. Anyway I went off for my breakfast, wrote postcards and a letter and probably read a few pages of one the books I had picked up in Delhi.

There is nothing in the filo-fax to record my having done or seen anything else, just a big gap between two entries that say "RS Rest."

So I must have had dinner and gone to bed. Even though I had achieved very little since an hour after my arrival the events of the early morning had been more than enough, even too much to take in.