Monday, December 29, 2008

Exploring the Fort

Breakfast was 5 Rupees. That's what the note says. A little more interesting might have been a note of exactly what breakfast might have been, but there is no mention of it.

The cold I had picked up had gone to my chest and I was coughing. The cold had actually made me partially deaf in both ears. My note says "cough medicine" and I assume that I bought some at a pharmacy. Again, no mention of the the brand. It was probably a brand that seemed familiar. There were a good number of very familiar (if a little old fashioned) brand names everywhere.

We then explored the fort and at one entrance came across Sri Hari Bawhani and his peculiar instrument. A few posts earlier than this one there is a slideshow video accompanied by Hari's "very nice Rajasthani music". The recording was not made on this first encounter.

My notes say "look round fort" "see tailors" and "8th July". I always seemed to be seeing tailors. I was looking into the making up some shirts again. The rolls of fabric/material that shirts are made of is called "shirting'. Somehow or other the word seems peculiar and amusing. It shouldn't because words such as "sheeting" as in plastic sheeting or "skirting" as in skirting board are quite familiar English terms. The word "shirting" just tickles me and it always puts me in mind of the word "trousering" used to describe someone getting some financial windfall/advantage and keeping it. Then again the word "pocketing" could also be used for the same action. I doubt that the fabric trousers are made of is called "trousering" but I stand to be corrected. If pockets are made of a special material, is it called "pocketing"? Probably not.

The reference to "8th July" is a reference to a restaurant/café called "The 8th of July'. As I recall it was very small but today it is probably much bigger and smarter, perhaps it is even a WiFi hotspot or something. Then it was small place with a good write-up in the Lonely Planet Guide as being somewhere that some home comforts could be obtained. It is strange what people crave when they have been away from home for some time. The 8th of July was a place that Australians could get Vegemite on toast if they wanted. It had Marmite too. I didn't have either. My notes on this visit don't say what I had.