Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Zippo Repair Update

I mentioned in the post about my visit to Ephesus that I had been taught how to flick open my Zippo one-handed.

The technique is the second one demonstrated in the You Tube video below.



I also mentioned that doing so tended to cause the hinge to break and that my original Zippo and its replacement were both being repaired. They were delivered back last week fully repaired with brand new innards.

I cannot praise Zippo highly enough. They advertise their product as having a lifetime guarantee and they mean it. This is what they say:

Zippo Guarantee

Any Zippo windproof lighter product when returned to our factory, will be put in first class mechanical condition free of charge, for we have yet to charge a cent for the repair of a Zippo windproof lighter, regardless of age or condition the finish, however, is not guaranteed

If you are UK RESIDENT, you can return your Zippo lighter to
Zippo UK - Repair Admin Dept
27 Grand Union Centre
336B Ladbroke Grove
London W10 5AS
Tel: 020 8964 0666

Customers living outside the UK should contact their local Zippo distributor or return the lighter directly to the Zippo

Zippo Manufacturing Co. Repair Clinic
1932 Zippo Drive
Bradford
Pennsylvania 16701
USA

There is no charge for a Zippo repair, do not enclose any money.
Please allow 8 weeks for the return of your repaired Zippo lighter.
Please ensure that you provide us with your name and address when returning your lighter.
The Zippo Lifetime Guarantee only applies to the mechanical condition of its products, the finish is not covered by the guarantee.
When returning your lighter for repair, we recommend using insured post.

The Zippo Lifetime Guarantee only applies to Zippo Windproof Lighter. Other Zippo products (including the Multi Purpose Lighter) are not covered by a Lifetime Guarantee.


They really do repair them for nothing. The first time I sent off my original Zippo I actually sent it to Bradford PA. It came back in no time from the USA. This time I discovered that there is a Zippo servicing centre in the UK so I sent the original and the replacement I bought while the original was having its first repair done to the UK address. It took a bit longer than I thought it might (but Christmas and the New Year holiday did intervene) but they came back alright.

Well done the Zippo Manufacturing Company!